Recycling of Waste
- Aluminum, Glass, Plastics (#1-7), and Tin: Dispose of in proper containers, labeled as "Co-Mingling recycling" or the specific item.
- Paper and Cardboard: Place in "paper" bags or by the dumpsters in the bins labeled "Cardboard." Carboard should be flattened to save space. Frozen food containers are NOT recyclable.
- E-Waste (Technology): Inner-campus mail to Facilities, place behind service desks in the residence halls or schedule a pick-up (for heavy items).
- Batteries: Inner-campus mail to Facilities
Contact Facilities for specifics on the recycling of any products in question; or as to the process by which to have an item recycled. Email
Green Waste is waste generated from plant material. It usually comes from routine landscape maintenance, such as lawn mowing, dead plants, etc. All Green Waste is recycled except palm brances and flax. The small trimmings are collected and hauled to a compost facility, and the large trimmings are run through a chipper and the mulch is used around campus. The recycled mulch retains moisture and requires less water for plants, as well as increases microbial activity in the soil, which aids in stabilizing the soil temperature at the root zone and helps prevent weed germination and growth. By recycling Green Waste, SCU is able to exceed the city mandated requirement for reducing the amount of debris that goes to the landfill and also save significant costs by reducing hauled waste.
Tips for Decreasing Landfill Waste
- Take advantage of the abundant opportunities to recycle around campus.
- Use loose-leaf paper in a three-ring binder instead of a notebook.
- Place recyclable materials in their proper bins.
- Recycle newspapers, as these account for a significant portion of paper waste.
- Sustainability at SCU, Recyclemania» Info
- Sustainability at SCU, Waste Reduction during Move Out» Info
- Environmental services Information on where and how to recycle while at home, work, or while you're out » Info
- Santa Clara City Hall Information regarding the city of Santa Clara's garbage and recycling programs. Learn more about Santa Clara's annual street cleaning campaign that is held from March 17th through April 11th each year. » Info
- Center for the Development of Recycling (CDR)Waste management programs in Santa Clara County, including landfills and curbside recycling programs. » Info
Visit the SCU Sustainability site to learn more about environmentally friendly lifestyle changes and the Sustainability Pledge. » Info