Santa Clara University Achievements
Santa Clara University is on its way towards becoming a carbon neutral campus. To date, the following are some achievements:
- Since 2000, there has been a 27% increase in campus building area but only a 3% increase in total energy consumption. The new Learning Commons and Library is almost twice the size of Orradre Library but is expected to run on the same amount of energy.
- Roughly 30% of University energy savings prior to 2006 were from lighting retrofits since 1997.
- Father Locatelli has signed the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment, pledging to develop a plan to achieve campus climate neutrality.
- SCU has committed to reduce CO2 emissions 20% below 1997 levels by 2010. In FY 2006, annual CO2 emissions were 18,551 tons, requiring a 34% decrease of present emissions.
- SCU funds 8,040 megawatt-hours of renewable energy—equivalent to the annual output of two and a half large-scale wind turbines.
- Princeton Review's Green College Honor Roll: Out of 861 colleges across the country, SCU joined an elite list of schools by earning a perfect score in 2014.
- Kaplan College Guide: Named SCU one of the Top 20 Environmentally Responsible Colleges.
- Princeton Review: Awarded SCU 96 out of 99 points in their "green ratings." SCU tied for the No. 2 spot of all universities rated in California.
- Kiwi Magazine: Included SCU as one of "50 schools that will help your kids help the planet."
- Sustainable Endowments Institute: Awarded SCU a B in 2009, improved from a B- in 2008.
The Center for Sustainability currently hosts nine annual events in order to strengthen the campus culture of sustainability.
- Campus Sustainability Day
- Mission Sustainable Challenge
- Residence Energy Challenge
- Eco-Fashion & Art Show
- Swap for Good
- Grad Pledge
- Sustainability Champion Awards
- Move-Out Waste Diversion
- Sustainability Summer Series