Santa Clara University Achievements
Santa Clara University is on its way towards becoming a carbon neutral campus. To date, the following are some achievements:
- Since 2000, there has been a 27% increase in campus building area but only a 3% increase in total energy consumption. The new Learning Commons and Library is almost twice the size of Orradre Library but is expected to run on the same amount of energy.
- Roughly 30% of University energy savings prior to 2006 were from lighting retrofits since 1997.
- Father Locatelli has signed the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment, pledging to develop a plan to achieve campus climate neutrality.
- SCU has committed to reduce CO2 emissions 20% below 1997 levels by 2010. In FY 2006, annual CO2 emissions were 18,551 tons, requiring a 34% decrease of present emissions.
- SCU funds 8,040 megawatt-hours of renewable energy—equivalent to the annual output of two and a half large-scale wind turbines.
- Princeton Review's Green College Honor Roll: Out of 861 colleges across the country, SCU joined an elite list of schools by earning a perfect score in 2014.
- Kaplan College Guide: Named SCU one of the Top 20 Environmentally Responsible Colleges.
- Princeton Review: Awarded SCU 96 out of 99 points in their "green ratings." SCU tied for the No. 2 spot of all universities rated in California.
- Kiwi Magazine: Included SCU as one of "50 schools that will help your kids help the planet."
- Sustainable Endowments Institute: Awarded SCU a B in 2009, improved from a B- in 2008.
Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, & Rating System (STARS)
Santa Clara University is a Charter Participant in the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, & Rating System (STARS), administered by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). AASHE’s STARS program is the only one of its kind that involves publicly reporting comprehensive information related to a college or university’s sustainability performance. Participants report achievements in three overall areas: 1) education & research, 2) operations, and 3) planning, administration & engagement. SCU earned a Silver STARS rating in January 2011. Read Santa Clara University's STARS report. »Info