Graduation Year: 1992
Hometown: Omaha, NE
Current Residence: Omaha, NE
Major at Santa Clara: Political Science
Favorite memory from Santa Clara
- I loved freshman orientation. Some of my closest college friends were in my small group and it was such an exciting time.
- How beautiful graduation was in the Mission Garden. It was the perfect day.
Extracurricular activities while a student at SCU
- Student government
- Intramural sports
My hobbies and interests
- Following politics
- I am very active in public education, serving as an elected member of my local school board and on the boards of the Nebraska Council for Teacher Education and the Nebraska Council for Social Studies.
- My husband and I also enjoy watching our daughter Elizabeth, a 10th grader, compete in three different sports.
Things I am good at...
- Additionally, I am a pretty good student, completing work on a second graduate degree now, both in the field of education
- Building consensus
- Being part of teams that are productive and share common goals
Expertise that I have acquired in my life and career that I bring to my term of service on the SCU Alumni Board
- I am particularly good at working with and mentoring people in education.
- I am a cooperating teacher and mentor, so I am able to work with students who are studying to be teachers as well as teachers who are in the early years of their career.
- As a member of a board of education, I have successfully led a facilities bond campaign for almost $80 million to improve and build facilities in my resident school district.
- I also headed a successful superintendent search, hiring a great new superintendent for Westside Community Schools.
- I am good at listening, being empathetic, seeing things from multiple perspectives, and building consensus.
- I am able to have challenging discussions, particularly around issues of inequity in education, inclusive practices, and understanding and acknowledging bias, among other things.