Studio Art Major and Minor Requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Undergraduate Core Curriculum requirements for the bachelor of arts degree, students majoring or minoring in studio art must complete the following department requirements for the 2016-17 academic year. Check out the complete list of Studio Arts course descriptions. Please refer to your class bulletin for restriction details or check your degree audit for major and minor requirements.
What courses do I need to take for a Studio Art Major?
The Studio Art major requires 16 courses: (13 studio ARTS courses and 3 ARTH courses)
- Four foundation ARTS courses (recommended for first- or second-year students; transfer students should meet with the department chairs for individualized advising)
- ARTS 30
- ARTS 74
- One two-dimensional foundation course from ARTS 32 or 72
- One three-dimensional foundation course from ARTS 33, 63, or 64
- One course from ARTH 21-27 (ARTH 23 recommended)
- Seven additional ARTS courses (upper-division preferred, excluding ARTS 194)
- One lower-or upper ARTH course with a global emphasis
- One upper-division ARTH course with a modern or contemporary emphasis (ARTH 185 recommended)
- ARTS 196A (recommended junior year)
- ARTS 196B (senior year, spring quarter)
What courses do I need to take for an Studio Art Minor?
The Studio Art minor requires 7 courses: (6 studio ARTS courses and 1 ARTH course)
- One two-dimensional foundation course from ARTS 30-72 (or approved upper-division equivalent, ARTS 30 strongly recommended)
- One three-dimensional foundation course from ARTS 33, 63 or 64
- Four additional studio ARTS courses (upper-division preferred, excluding ARTS 194)
- One ARTH course (excluding ARTH 11A or 12A)