Life After SCU
ALUMNUS OF THE YEAR
The Alumnus of the Year Award is given to an alumnus (or alumna) in recognition of a career of contributions to his or her organization, profession, community, and Santa Clara University. This year’s awardee is Greg Vlahos, class of 1988 and a partner of PwC, LLP.
Greg was honored at the 17th Annual Accounting Awards Banquet held on Thursday, May 25th, 2017. Greg graduated from SCU with a degree in economics in 1988. An accounting position in his junior year at a tech company started him off on the road to accounting. He joined PwC in September 1990 and has been there ever since. He was promoted to partner in July 2000 and currently leads their Bay Area Life Science Sector.
As a Partner leading PwC’s NorCal Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences industry group, Greg provides services to public and private biotechnology and medical device companies worldwide. He specializes in public life science and emerging life science companies, including device, biotech and digital health industries. He has participated in numerous private and public equity offerings, and provided due diligence, valuation, structuring and execution leadership in connection with mergers and acquisitions. He has also participated in the development and delivery of speeches and courses surrounding technical accountings matters and SEC reporting.
Greg is active in numerous professional, business and civic organizations. He is also a member of the California Society of Certified Public Accountants and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Between 2000 and 2012, Greg served as PwC’s representative on the SCU Accounting Advisory Board. For two of those years, Greg served as the president of the Board. Greg continues to be an contributor to ensuring the success of the SCU Accounting Program.
In his spare time, Greg enjoys golf, travel, and spending time with his family.
The previous recipients of this award are as follows:
- 2016: Howard Loomis (Class of 1980)
- 2015: Betsy Rafael (Class of 1983)
- 2014: Stephen Baroni (Class of 1989)
- 2013: William O' Brien (Class of 1970)
- 2012: Katy Yeager (class of 1989)
- 2011: Paul Locatelli, S.J. (Class of 1960)
- 2010: Roger F. Dunbar (MBA Class of 1973)
- 2009: James P. Lynch (Class of 1983)
- 2008: Kristine L. Caratan (Class of 1974)
- 2007: Ronald J. Piziali (Class of 1967)
- 2006: Dennis A. Young (Class of 1968)
- 2005: Michael S. McAndrews (Class of 1975)
- 2004: Lewis Chew (Class of 1984)
- 2003: Stephen E. Almassy (Class of 1977)
- 2002: Joseph J. Maglione (Class of 1977)
- 2001: Martin R. Melone (Class of 1963)