Purchasing Goods or Services

Confused about how to pay a bill? Check out our "How to get things paid at SCU" section at the bottom of Accounts Payable Disbursements

Accounts Payable

Accounts Payable is responsible for the timely processing and payment of vendor invoices. Information provided to initiate payments must be submitted by the department receiving the goods and services. 

Required information: Printed and signed quick voucher page and original invoice. Quotes and proposals are not accepted as valid invoices. Please make sure you keep a copy of the signed quick voucher page and invoice for your records. 

It is extremely important that invoices be reviewed, approved and submitted for payment on a timely basis in order to process the documents and check payment. This processing normally takes ten business days from when the quick vouchers with invoices arrive in the University Finance Office. Please ensure that quick vouchers are submitted in sufficient time to meet payment deadlines. New vendor setup, direct deposit setup, and independent contractor agreements may cause longer delays due to higher level approval. 

Sales Tax Rate:

  Start End Rate
Current Rate 4/1/2017   9.00%
Old Rate 1/1/2017 3/31/2017 8.50%
Old Rate 4/1/2013 12/31/2016 8.75%

If invoices are for goods and do not charge sales tax, we will still accrue use tax and send it to the state. This includes Concur purchases. 

Why is it called use tax? 

We use the product here in Santa Clara, regardless of where we purchased it from, and therefore we owe taxes for the use of the product. 

To process student award payments for official SCU awards, please submt a quick voucher through PeopleSoft and include the student ID and address in the special instructions box. For backup documentation, we need the official description of the awards attached and the authorized approval signature on the quick voucher. 

For any service performed by individuals or companies working with SCU, we need to have an Independent Contractor Request form and an Independent Contractor Agreement completed and signed by all parties BEFORE the service is performed. If we are contracting with a company, some may have their own contracts which the Office of the General Counsel will review in lieu of the SCU Independent Contractor Agreement. 

For first time contracts, the Department must first submit a completed Independent Contractor Request Form to Accounts Payable.  Note that failure to sufficiently and completely provide the requested information will delay processing.  Accounts Payable will tentatively approve or deny the request and notify the department.  If the request is tentatively approved the Department should then complete an Independent Contractor Agreement and send to Accounts Payable. 

For renewal contracts for the same services, no request form is needed; the department only needs to submit a new Independent Contractor Agreement. Please note however, that Accounts Payable or legal may have questions regarding the frequency and scope of the services.  Contracts are not automatically approved even if the University has contracted with the same independent contractor previously.

Accounts Payable will then send the Contract to General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel, or HR Employment Counsel for signature.  Please note that the Contract is not considered fully executed or binding on the University without signature of either General Counsel, Assistant General Counsel, or HR Employment Counsel.  

The approval process will typically take one to two weeks.  In certain complex situations the process may take longer.  If there are unique circumstances requiring expedited processing please describe such circumstances.

Examples of services requiring IC Agreements, but not limited to:

  • Photography
  • Performances
  • Workshops
  • Graphic Design

Forms are available here