Skip to main content

Financial Aid and Scholarships

If you are new to the student loan process, we recommend the following web resources.

Federal Student Aid

Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA)

Any student interested in being considered for financial aid through the federal government MUST file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Santa Clara University School Code is 001326. Regardless of need, Financial Aid in the form of Federal Student loans is available for degree-seeking students who are enrolled half-time (4.5 units/quarter in Fall/Winter/Spring; 3 units in Summer) or more, and are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Additional information can be obtained from the University's Enrollment Services Center at 408-551-1000 or

Students who are interested in a Federal loan should file a FAFSA after being accepted into an ECP program. 

Students filing a FAFSA prior to being admitted into an ECP program should notify of their acceptance into ECP in order to trigger the FAFSA application.

Students wishing to obtain a loan in subsequent years must re-file in each year for which a loan is sought.

Federal Financial Aid will be credited to student accounts 10 days before the beginning of each term.

Graduate Student Loans

To help cover the cost of your education, you may be able to take advantage of a variety of student loan programs. Typically, these programs offer low-interest rates and repayment plans that are designed with students in mind. In many cases, you will not have to start repaying these loans until after you have graduated or enroll less than half-time.

Federal Student Loans

Most students who apply for financial aid are offered some loans that are sponsored by the federal government. These loans are typically included in your financial aid award.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans
The Federal Direct Loan program is generally known as Federal Stafford Loans, this loan program provides you a simple and convenient way to borrow money to pay for your education.

Federal Perkins Loan
The Federal Perkins Loan are low-interest, long-term educational loans awarded annually depending on financial need as determined by the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
Federal Graduate Direct PLUS Loan are from the U.S. Department of Education for students seeking master’s, doctoral or specialist degrees. The Federal Graduate Direct PLUS Loan enables graduate students to borrow up to the cost of education minus any other financial aid.

Private Alternate Loans

While federal students loans are often the most attractive lending options, you may also wish to consider loans from other sources. The Financial Aid Office encourages borrowers to do your own research to find the best lender for you. We have provided you with a Guide to Choosing a Lender that may assist in determining the best lender for you.

For more information on graduate student loan options, please visit the Office of Financial Aid website. This will provide the most comprehensive and detailed information on your options and loan limits.

Office of Financial Aid:

Campus Location - Schott Enrollment Services Building
E-mail -
Telephone - (408) 551-1000
Fax - (408) 554-2154

Private Scholarships

In addition to federal funding options, there are plenty of other awards sponsored by corporations, civic organizations, religious organizations and other groups, which are designed to help students with their college costs.

Online Scholarship Searches

FastWeb: Scholarships, Financial Aid and Colleges
One of the first free online search services with a database of more than 400,000 scholarships.

College Board Scholarship Search
A database of scholarships, internships and other financial aid programs from 2,500 sources.

FinAid! A SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
A database of awards for undergraduate through post-graduate studies.

NOTE: If you have been awarded a scholarship from an outside agency, please provide the donor with our contact information. All correspondence and scholarship checks from donors should be sent to our Private Outside Scholarship Coordinator.

Private Outside Scholarship Coordinator

Brittany Ingraham
(408) 551-1875

You can learn more by visiting the Office of Financial Aid website.

External Education Financial Assistance

Federal Student Aid Loan Services, Repayment Plans, Loan Consolidation and Loan Forgiveness

Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers. For more information please visit the  U.S. Department of Education, Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Teacher: Loan Forgiveness Program - FFEL and Direct Loan Programs

To qualify, a teacher must have been employed as a full-time teacher for five consecutive complete academic years in an elementary or secondary school that has been designated as a low-income school by the U.S. Department of Education. Teachers may receive up to either $5,000 or $17,500 of loan cancellation if they teach in a low-income school. A fully qualified elementary or secondary teacher is eligible for up to $5,000 in loan forgiveness if they teach in a low-income school.
Teachers may receive up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness if they are fully qualified and are:

teachers of mathematics or science in an eligible secondary school 

special education teachers.

For more information, please visit the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program website.

Federal Education Grants: TEACH Program

The U.S. Department of Education funds a Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant) Program. The TEACH Program requires a FAFSA (see above) and provides funds to students who are completing or who plan to complete coursework that is required to begin a career in teaching, and who agree to teach full-time for at least four years. If you are interested in a TEACH Grant, please go to the TEACH Grant website for additional information or visit the U.S. Department of Education, Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Perkins" Loan Teacher Cancellation

The Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation program applies to teachers who have taught in an elementary or secondary school as a:

teacher in a school serving students from low-income families

special education teacher 

teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in other shortage areas in the state.

If a borrower is eligible for teacher cancellation under any of the categories, up to 100 percent of the loan may be canceled for teaching service in the following increments:

15% for the first and year second years of service

20 percent canceled for the third and fourth years

30 percent canceled for the fifth year.

For more information, please visit the Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation website for application instructions for more information.

National Health Service Corps: Loan Repayment Program

The NHSC Loan Repayment Program is open to licensed primary care medical, dental, and mental and behavioral health providers who are employed or seeking employment at approved sites.

SEMILLA Teacher Fellowship

Fellowship Program Description

The SEMILLA Teacher Fellowship provides assistance to students pursuing the Master of Arts in Teaching with Teaching Credential (MATTC) program who:

  • Agree to successfully complete a minimum of 18 units at the East San Jose campus (courses to be determined).
  • Agree to successfully complete full clinical practicum in a High-Need School that is predominantly comprised of an underserved Latina/o student population while enrolled in the MATTC program.
  • Agree to provide community service at the East San Jose campus during the time of enrollment in MATTC. Map
  • Agree to successfully complete the MATTC program and be awarded a teaching credential from the State of California.
  • Agree to teach for two years post-degree/post-preliminary credential in a High-Need School that is predominantly comprised of an underserved Latina/o student population within four years of completing the MATTC program.

Important Notes:

  • This fellowship is only for students who are accepted for admission, or enrolled in Master of Arts in Teaching with Teaching Credential (MATTC) program
You are welcome to contact our office at 408-551-3422 or email us at for any questions or inquires.

Upon selection as a SEMILLA fellow, student will receive a tuition scholarship which will pay for 50% of the tuition for the quarters she/he enroll AFTER being awarded the scholarship. This scholarship only applies to the tuition associated with Master of Arts in Teaching with Teaching Credential Program from Santa Clara University- Department of Education. Student is responsible for payment of the balance of tuition and fees.

Service Obligation Requirement

To meet the teaching requirement of the Fellowship Fund, SEMILLA fellows will commit to teach for two years post-degree/post-preliminary credential in a High-Need School that is predominantly comprised of an underserved Latina/o student population within four years of completing the MATTC program.

To apply, complete the online SEMILLA Teacher Fellowship Application.


ECP Tuition Scholarship

The School of Education and Counseling Psychology offers a variety of tuition and endowed scholarships for currently enrolled and newly admitted students. Scholarship awards may be awarded on a quarterly and annual basis. The FAFSA is currently not required to be considered for a scholarship. However, the following general criteria will be considered: program and emphasis area, merit, need enrollment status (full time vs. part time), and overall experience with and commitment to multiculturalism and social justice.

Important notes:

  • International students are not eligible for an endowed scholarship, but may apply for a tuition scholarship.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible for either scholarship.
  • Prospective and Newly Admitted Students: In order to be considered for a scholarship you must have a completed application submitted (online application and supplemental materials) to one of our programs. A decision will be made only after you have been admitted into the program.
  • Currently Enrolled Students: Currently enrolled students may apply for a full year scholarship award for each academic year. Please note, if you missed the application deadline, you may still apply and be considered for a quarterly award if funding still exists

All tuition scholarships and endowed scholarships will be awarded based on information provided in this single application. Please only submit one application per academic year.

To apply: ECP Tuition Scholarship Application.

Endowed Scholarships for the 2019-20 Academic Year

To apply, complete the online Endowed Scholarship Application.

Tuition Scholarships for the San Jose Diocese and Sacred Heart Nativity Employees

A tuition scholarship is available for teachers, counselors, and administrators employed by the Diocese of San Jose who are taking graduate courses in the School.

To apply, complete the online Diocese of San Jose and Sacred Heart Nativity Scholarship Application.

Educational Leadership Off-site Cohort Scholarship

To apply, complete the online Educational Leadership Off-site Cohort Scholarship Application.

While international students are eligible to , we have put together the below list of resources that may assist you in supporting your graduate study in our School.

Please note, you may want to seek further consultation and advice on funding resources from the Consulate office in your home country.

College Scholarships

Education USA

Fulbright Foreign Student Program

Funding Study in the US


International Scholarships



If you have specific questions about applying for an ECP scholarship, please feel free to contact our Director of Admissions and Financial Aid Office at 408-551-3422 or email us at

Contact Us Apply Now

Come Join Us!