Teacher Education Program
Designed for prospective public and private elementary and middle school teachers (grades PK-8) or prospective public and private middle and high school teachers (Grades 6-12).
The SEMILLA Teacher Fellowship provides assistance to students pursuing Master of Arts in Teaching with Teaching Credential (MATTC) program who:
- Agree to successfully complete a minimum of 18 units at the East San Jose campus (courses to be determined).
- Agree to provide community service at the East San Jose campus during the time of enrollment in MATTC. Map
- Agree to successfully complete the MATTC program and be awarded a teaching credential from the State of California.
- Agree to teach for two years post-degree/post-preliminary credential in a High-Need School that is predominantly comprised of an underserved Latina/o student population within four years of completing the MATTC program.
The Excellence in Catholic Education and Leadership (ExCEL) Program provides an opportunity for those interested in becoming a Catholic school teacher to earn their MA and teaching credential while teaching in their own Catholic school classroom. ExCEL students are paid as beginning teachers and are offered free housing for two years while completing the academic requirements for their MA in teaching. Part of a larger system of programs in the University Consortium for Catholic Education, ExCEL is centered on four pillars: Service through Teaching, Living in Community, Spiritual Development, and - unique to the program at SCU -- Technology in Teaching.
The program begins in June of each year with an intense summer of preparation for teaching the fall. ExCEL students are assigned Mentor Teachers and Instructional Coach to support them in their teaching. We especially seek students who are hoping to stay in Catholic schools and in our region, becoming part of a thriving Catholic educational system in our area.
After two years of coursework, students are eligible for the MA in Teaching degree from Santa Clara University's School of Education and Counseling Psychology and will have completed all the requirements for the California preliminary teaching credential with the exception of a third year of teaching. (California requires three years in a private school classroom to earn the credential). Upon completion of this final certification requirement, ExCEL teachers will have both their CA teaching credential and MA degree.
Designed for full-time Catholic school teachers credentialed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing who would like to earn their preliminary and Clear Teaching Credential as well as a master of arts in teaching degree.
Abbreviated Preliminary for Catholic and Private School TeachersThis program offers an abbreviated route for veteran Catholic and private school teachers (6 years or more of experience) to obtain a recommendation for their multiple subject or single subject preliminary teaching credential.
- This program is a professional training program for educators working in alternative and correctional programs as teachers, counselors, or administrators.