COEN Student Policies
Grad Students’ Overload Policy
The maximum load for a graduate student per quarter is 10 units. To overload to 12 units, a student must have a GPA of at least 3.4.
Grad Students’ CPT Co‐op Policy
- Must be a full‐time grad student in our CSE major or SE major (min 8 units per quarter).
- Completion of at least 24 graduate units (COEN 9xx units and transfer units do not apply to these 24 units).
- To be eligible to register for ENGR 288, students must complete 16 units of graduate level courses. (Transfer credit does not apply to the completion of these 16 units.)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- F-1 students: must be full‐time for at least 9 consecutive months.
- Must be full‐time the quarter preceding co‐op.
- Must be an SCU student not working as a TA.
- The training objectives must be related to the field of study, and include learning to enhance academic knowledge, work, and learning to work with people.
- Typically each approval is about 3 months, but can check with the associate dean for grad studies.
Undergrad Students: Declaring/Switching into Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) and Web Design & Engineering (WDE) as a Major or a Minor
Due to already over-crowded classes in our department, switching into our programs has become extremely difficult. Here’re the criteria for:
- Declaring CSE major within engineering from undeclared engineering: no restriction.
- Switching to CSE/WDE major within engineering: GPA >= 2.0.
- Choosing CSE/WDE minor within engineering: GPA >= 2.0.
- Transferring to CSE major from other colleges/schools within SCU: GPA >= 3.6 and completed at least 1 math course and 1 programming courses with a math/prog GPA >= 3.75.
- Transferring to WDE major from other colleges/schools within SCU: GPA >= 3.0 and completed at least 1 math and 1 programming courses with a math/prog GPA >= 3.0.
- Choosing CSE minor from other colleges/schools within SCU: GPA >= 3.2 and completed at least 1 math and 1 programming courses with a math/prog GPA >= 3.2.
- Choosing WDE minor from other colleges/schools within SCU: GPA >= 2.95 and completed at least 1 programming course with a math/prog GPA >= 3.0.