About the Honors Program
The University Honors Programs provides Santa Clara's most able students with intellectual opportunities based in small, seminar-style classes. With no more than 17 students each, seminars emphasize analytical rigor, effective expression, and interaction among professors and students. In the classroom and elsewhere on campus, students enjoy a level of collaboration exceptional even at Santa Clara.
The course of study combines broadly based, liberal learning with depth of specialization in a major field. Honors Program classes are designed to fit within the curricula of the humanities, natural and social sciences, business, and engineering. Possible majors include every undergraduate field in the university.
Honors Program students participate fully in campus life. They enroll in many regular-session classes, live in the residence halls, and join in co-curricular and service activities.
Faithful to the university's history and identity, the University Honors Program welcomes students from diverse geographic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds. All are young men and women blessed with rare potential for responsible leadership in their communities and professions.
Two SCU Students Awarded Goldwater "Honorable Mention" in 2017 Competition!
"The Goldwater is the most prestigious undergraduate scholarship in the natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering in America"
Delaney Gray (University Honors Program)
Field of Study: BioEngineering
Career Goal: genetic diseases or personalized medicine
Mentor: Dr. Leilani Miller
Field of Study: Biochemistry and Biology
Career Goal: design of pain medications, focusing on improving targeted drug delivery while working in a national laboratory.
Mentors: Dr. Grace Stokes, Dr. Janice Edgerly-Rooks
SCU is a Fulbright Top Producer for Fourth Year in a Row! Four SCU Students Won Fulbright Awards in 2016!
Lindsey Allen '16 (Research in Morocco)
Clara Cushing '16 (English Teaching Assistant in Czech Republic)
Sean Reilly '16 (Research in Australia) -- University Honors student
Stephanie Goodman '15 (Research in Ghana)
SCU Honors Student Chosen For Inaugural Class of Schwarzman Scholars
Jesse Caemmerer '14
SCU Honors Student Wins Prestigious Udall Scholarship
Déjà Thomas '17
UHP Events – Spring 2018
Monday, April 16 (counts as UHP Social Justic Event Participation!)
- Queerly Beloved by SCAAP: 5:30pm, Williman Room
Tuesday, April 17 (Social Justice Event! - See Week 2 Newsletter to sign up and for requirements)
Thursday, April 19 (Social Justice Event! - See Week 2 Newsletter to sign up and for requirements)
Monday, April 23 (Seniors ONLY)
- MANDATORY Senior Poster Workshop/Final Thesis Meeting: 6-7 pm, Daly 207
- attendance at either this meeting OR the 4/24 meeting is REQUIRED
Tuesday, April 24 (Seniors ONLY)
- MANDATORY Senior Poster Workshop/Final Thesis Meeting: 6-7 pm, Daly 206
- attendance at either this meeting OR the 4/23 meeting is REQUIRED
Tuesday, April 24 (Social Justice Event! - See Week 3 Newsletter to sign up and for requirements)
- Informed Consent, Body Property, and Self-Sovereignty: Noon, Vari Hall, Wiegand Room
Wednesday, April 25 (counts as UHP Academic Event Participation!)
- Study Abroad and Global Fellows Advising Panel: 7:30-9 pm, Varsi 114
Friday, April 27
- Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program Info Session (for Stanford Grad Programs): Noon, CA Mission Room, Benson
Wednesday, May 2 (counts as UHP Academic Event Participation!)
- UHP Presents! with Dr. Sunwolf: 12-1pm, Lucas 126
Thursday, May 3 (Social Justice Event! - See Week 3 Newsletter to sign up and for requirements)
- The spiritual and political prophecy of Cesar Chavez: 4-5:30 pm, Adobe Lodge
Thursday, May 3
- Take a break from midterms with a social event! Watch episodes of The Office and relax from 7:30-9pm, Viewing & Taping Room A, Learning Commons
Monday, May 7 (Juniors ONLY)
- MANDATORY Junior Meeting: 6-7 pm, Daly 207
- attendance at either this meeting or the 5/8 meeting is REQUIRED
Tuesday, May 8 (Juniors ONLY)
- MANDATORY Junior Meeting: 6-7 pm, Daly 206
- attendance at either this meeting or the 5/7 meeting is REQUIRED
Tuesday, May 8 (Social Justice Event! - See Week 3 Newsletter to sign up and for requirements)
- From Chavez to DACA: 4-5:30 pm, Learning Commons, St. Clare Room
Monday, May 21 (10 students chosen by lottery)
- President's Reading Series Dinner: 6-7:30 pm
Wednesday, May 23 (counts as UHP Academic Event Participation for First-Years, Sophomores, and Juniors only; this is a requirement for Seniors so no participation credit is awarded to Seniors)
- Research With a Mission (Senior Poster Session): 2:30-4:30 pm, Locatelli
Wednesday, May 23 (Seniors ONLY)
- Senior Dinner: 6-8 pm, Benson Center Williman Room
Thursday, May 24 (counts as UHP Academic Event Participation!)
- UHP Presents! with Prof. Whitfield: 7:30-8:30pm, Kenna 104